Fence Company in Clarksville TN - Fence Company Alert: How to Spot and Avoid Fence Scammers
Fence Company Alert: How to Spot and Avoid Fence Scammers
If you want to put up a fence on your property, you should be aware that there could be scams. Fence con artists are all too common in many places, and if you don't take the right precautions, you could end up with poor results or out-of-pocket costs. Here is an overview of what to look for when choosing a fence company, as well as how to spot and avoid any possible scams that may come up during the installation process, to protect yourself from shady fencing contractors and their tricks.
Don't Fall for These Common Fence Scam Tactics
When looking for a fence company, it's important to know the tricks that scammers often use. In the American fence business, scams can happen, and homeowners who don't know better can fall for them. When you hire an American fence company, here are some things to watch out for:
- Door-to-door sales: Most legitimate American fence companies don't go door-to-door to ask for business. Be careful if a salesperson shows up unannounced.
- High-Pressure Sales Tactics: American fence scammers often use pressure tactics to get homeowners to make a quick decision. They might say that the deal is only good for a short time or that the price will go up if you don't buy it right away.
- Requesting Full Payment Upfront: Most reputable American fence companies will ask for a deposit, but they won't ask for full payment up front. A red flag is if a company wants to be paid in full before any work is done.
- No Agreement or Written Quote: Always ask an American fence company for a written contract or quote. If a business can't give you one, it's probably a scam.
- Unlicensed or uninsured: All fence companies in the United States should be licensed and have insurance. Don't do business with a company that can't show proof of both of these things.
- Using Cheap Materials: To save money, American fence con artists often use cheap materials. Make sure to ask about the materials that will be used and do your own research to make sure they are good quality.
- Offering Prices That Seem Too Good to Be True: It may be tempting to go with the lowest bid, but be aware that American fence scammers often offer prices that are too good to be true. A low bid could mean that the company is taking shortcuts or using materials that aren't as good as they could be.
- Not giving references or reviews: American fence companies should be able to give references or reviews from customers they have worked with in the past. It's a red flag if a company can't give them.
The Importance of Researching a Fence Company Before Hiring Work Quality
By looking into a company, you can find out how good their work is and if they are known for using good materials and good craftsmanship. This can help you stay away from companies that take short cuts or use low-quality materials.
When you look into a company, you can also learn about its reputation in the community. Look for customer reviews and recommendations to find out what other people have to say about the company.
Licensing and Insurance:
Make sure any company you hire is licensed and has insurance. If you research a company, you can make sure they have the right licenses and insurance to protect yourself from any possible liability.
You can also find out how long a company has been in business and how much experience they have by doing research on them. A company with more experience is likely to know more about the business and be better prepared to deal with any problems that may come up.
Doing research on different companies can also help you figure out how much a fence like the one you want should cost on average and help you compare prices and services.
A company that has been in business for a long time and has a good reputation would have better communication skills and be more open about their services, prices, and timelines.
The Costs of Hiring a Scam Fence Company
- Poor quality fence installation: Scam fence companies may use low-quality materials, like low-grade wood, and may not have the skills or experience to install a fence correctly. This can make the fence easy to break and make it last less time than it should.
- Financial Loss: Scam fence companies may charge exorbitant prices or request full payment upfront before any work is done. This can cause homeowners to pay more than they should for a bad job installing their fence.
- Lack of Satisfaction: If a fence installation doesn't meet the homeowner's expectations or isn't done right, the homeowner may not be happy with the end result. This can make people upset and frustrated, and it may cost more money to fix the problems.
- No Guarantee or Warranty: Many reputable fence builders will offer a satisfaction rating and a guarantee on their work. Scam fence companies might not offer any guarantees or warranties, so if something goes wrong with the fence installation, the homeowner has nowhere to turn.
- No free estimate: A good fence contractor will give homeowners a free estimate, but a scam company may ask for payment before giving an estimate.
- No superior fence: Fraudulent fence companies may promise a better fence but give you one that isn't as good. This can be frustrating and disappointing for homeowners who were hoping for a better fence.
- No star reviews: Scam fence companies may not have any star reviews or testimonials from past customers, making it hard for homeowners to learn about the company and make an informed decision.
How to inspect a fence installation job once it's completed
After the fence has been installed, it's important for the homeowner to look over the work. Check for signs of damage or materials that aren't up to par, and make sure that all the boards and posts are in place properly. Check for any boards that are missing or loose, as well as any spaces between the boards. Make sure there are no nails you can see and that all the screws are tight. Also, look for any signs of rot or decay and make sure the fence is attached to the ground securely. Lastly, look for any signs of rust, which could mean that low-quality materials were used. If you look around and see something that seems out of place or not right, call your contractor right away. They may need to make repairs.
You can make sure your fence is safe and secure by doing some research and taking the time to check how it was put up. This will give you peace of mind and help protect your property. If you follow these steps, you'll also be less likely to fall for a scam fence company.
Contact TM Exterior Solutions today if you need a new fence for your home or business in the Clarksville, TN area. We have a lot of experience and know a lot about all kinds of fencing, such as vinyl, chain link, aluminum, wood, and more. Our team is dedicated to offering the best products and services at prices that are fair. Get your free quote right now!